The Ilchester Arms dates back to 1734 and is a grade II listed building. The local smuggling group made the place its headquarters when it was called the Ship Inn. However in 1737 the authorities found evidence of the groups activities on the road to Bridport, which compressed three quarters of a ton of tea, as well as brandy, rum, silk and cotton ¹.
Click on picture to go to next photo. © 2005.